Charles Krupa/Associated Press
Must-Watch: NFL DIVISIONAL PLAYOFFS
The road to the Super Bowl continues this weekend with four terrific matchups.
No. 6 Indianapolis Colts at No. 1 Kansas City Chiefs
Saturday, 4:35 p.m. ET on NBC
Line: Chiefs, -5.5
Although the Colts certainly aren’t the favorite in this one, Andrew Luck will be licking his chops to go up against the Chiefs’ second-worst passing defense in the league. Meanwhile, Patrick Mahomes will look to become the first quarterback this postseason to win his first career playoff start, unlike his counterparts in Lamar Jackson, Mitchell Trubisky and Deshaun Watson. He also hopes to break Kansas City’s drought of not winning a home playoff game since 1993. Wait, who’s the underdog here again?
Anyway, here’s the greatest Andrew Luck quote of all time:
Kevin Clark @bykevinclark
One thing I don’t bring up enough is the time I talked to Andrew Luck a little before he got his big extension and I asked him what he was gonna buy and he struggled to think of anything then said a robot ping-pong machine.
No. 4 Dallas Cowboys at No. 2 Los Angeles Rams
Saturday, 8:15 p.m. ET on Fox
Line: Rams, -7
Similar to the Chiefs, Dallas also has a playoff demon they’re trying to exorcize. Over the past 25 seasons, the Cowboys have played seven postseason games on the road and have lost them all. The good news for Dallas is that Ezekiel Elliott is going up against one of the worst rushing defenses in the league in L.A. He also kept it simple when describing the play of his quarterback Dak Prescott:
No. 5 Los Angeles Chargers at No. 2 New England Patriots
Sunday, 1:05 p.m. ET on CBS
Line: Patriots, -4.5
The Chargers are the best road team in the NFL, going 9-0 in the regular season and last week’s wild-card win over Baltimore. However, the Patriots haven’t lost a divisional playoff game since 2011 and are expected to host the game in a good amount of snow, a less-than-ideal circumstance for their Golden State opponents. Regardless of who comes out the winner, history will be made:
Yahoo Sports NFL @YahooSportsNFL
Sarah Thomas will become 1st female official in @NFL playoff history Sunday for @Chargers vs. @Patriots 🙌🏾
➡️ https://t.co/mqhglJ2ioJ https://t.co/YhEXVzk6sW
No. 6 Philadelphia Eagles at No. 1 New Orleans Saints
Sunday, 4:40 p.m. ET on Fox
Line: Saints, -8
The Eagles were annihilated by the Saints in Week 11, losing 48-7 in one of the biggest blowouts of the season. Although the defending Super Bowl champs surely aren’t just happy to be here, they certainly counted their blessings after what happened in their wild-card game last week. Did you somehow forget? We’re here to remind you again (sorry, Bears fans):
Bleacher Report @BleacherReport
Cody Parkey’s potential game-winning FG hits crossbar twice as Eagles advance to Divisional Round.
Watch This: Tottenham vs. Manchester United
As Tottenham attempts to keep within reach of Liverpool’s six-point lead at the top of the EPL table, Manchester United is soaring at the moment with five straight wins since firing Jose Mourinho and hiring caretaker manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. However, the Red Devils’ front office reportedly has its eyes on Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino as a permanent replacement at the end of the season, per ESPN FC’s Mark Ogden. Pochettino has made his frustrations with Tottenham’s lack of spending clear.
The two clubs kick off on Sunday at 11:30 a.m. ET on NBCSN.
Three more things to watch
1. No. 1 Duke takes on No. 13 Florida State in a major ACC matchup at the early stages of conference play. Zion Williamson continues to make his case as the top pick in June’s NBA draft after one of the most dominant performances in Duke history earlier in the week. What will he do next? Watch on Saturday at 2 p.m. ET on ESPN.
Duke Basketball @DukeMBB
1st Duke player with 3⃣0⃣ points, 🔟 boards, 5⃣ dimes in Coach K era https://t.co/H73pXAijz7
2. You can catch every NBA League Pass game right here on B/R Live, including the Golden State Warriors vs. Luka Doncic and the Dallas Mavericks on Sunday night at 7 p.m. ET. The rookie and Kevin Durant are in rare company.
Dallas Mavericks @dallasmavs
.@luka7doncic finished w/ 30pts/6rebs/5asts/3stls that’s only 7th time in NBA history that a teen has finished w/those totals. Only other 2 players to ever accomplish that are LeBron James & Kevin Durant. But most importantly we got the W!
Next match: 7pm on Friday in Minnesota! https://t.co/q83QtVaKDL
3. Bragging rights are on the line as the New York Rangers and New York Islanders face off for the second time in three days. Their matchup on Thursday night went the Islanders’ way, as Mat Barzal continued to wreak havoc on his crosstown rival. Watch the rematch on Saturday at 1 p.m. ET on ESPN+.
New York Islanders @NYIslanders
After his goal tonight, @barzal_97 now has 14 points (4G, 10A) in seven career games 🆚 the Rangers. 🔥 https://t.co/d97f9unlhf
1. Clemson picked apart Alabama 44-16 on Monday night to win their second title in three years and third overall. Trevor Lawrence showed the nation what he was capable of, throwing for 347 yards and three touchdowns with a 62 percent completion rate. Meanwhile, the 28-point loss was Nick Saban’s worst since joining the Crimson Tide in 2007. The Tigers couldn’t help but troll their opponents in the post-game locker room.
Bleacher Report CFB @BR_CFB
Clemson was playing Sweet Home Alabama in the locker room post-win 💀
(via @_MG3__) https://t.co/iFeGwDdzhA
2. If the New Orleans Saints weren’t already motivated to beat the Philadelphia Eagles this weekend and advance to the NFC Championship, this will probably do it.
Bleacher Report NFL @BR_NFL
Sean Payton went into the Saints locker room with the Lombardi trophy on top of $225k in cash (Saints’ players SB bonus) and said “Y’all want this? Win 3 f–king games,” per @JonDeTrinis https://t.co/xo9OJssC2r
3. Vince Carter began his career with the Toronto Raptors in 1998, playing six seasons for the team and solidifying himself as a fan favorite. Fifteen years since he put on their jersey, the fans still showed respect to the legend. He still had a job to do after, though.
Bleacher Report @BleacherReport
Raptors fans give Vince a standing ovation when he checks in and he nails a three 🙏 https://t.co/nV8qC8ZKYn
4. Although Oklahoma quarterback and reigning Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray was drafted ninth overall by the Oakland Athletics in the 2018 MLB draft and received a $4.6 million signing bonus, it appears the talented two-sport athlete is considering the NFL instead.
Bleacher Report @BleacherReport
Kyler Murray is reportedly leaning toward entering the 2019 NFL Draft 👀
Details on this week’s @sticktofootball
Odds courtesy OddsShark.